Top spiral-bound sketchbook branded Esquisse, No 29, Made in France, 21 spirals, 50 leaves, containing:
- Sketches made on visits to museums and galleries
- Notes made during visit to the Nymphenburg Palace near Munich [1930s]
- Some German vocabulary
- Some Russian alphabet
- Recipes for gesso/primer
- Notes from Atelier Monsieur Darna, Paris
- Sayings of Leonardo da Vinci “copied at Madame Kalachnikoff's, square Albin Cachot. Paris, 1949”
- Drawings similar in style and subject to Untitled [Cubist Drawing of a Seated Man] [BC098]
- Drawings similar in style to French Landscape Drawing [BC100 / 100A]
- Studies on movement and structure following the theories of Hans Hofmann
Front cover LL Esquisse, No 29
Front cover LR printer's mark
Front cover parallel to right hand edge F Scales (followed by three illegible lines, probably part of an address), München, Bavaria
Donated to the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand by H. F. V. Scales, 1979
Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand
Wellington, New Zealand
Donated to the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand by the artist, 1979.
A Esquisse branded sketchbook which accompanied Scales from France to Germany and which she kept in her possession until 1979.
"...square Albin Cachot. Paris, 1949" refers to Madame Kalachnikoff's address, 10 square Albin Cachot, 13ème, 75013, Paris, France, where Flora Scales resided 13 November 1965 - 29 May 1966.